We believe that Media Studies provides our students with the skills and understanding to examine the world around them, looking closely at how messages and meaning are constructed in a wide range of media texts.
Through Media Studies, our students will be provided with a range of media texts, from magazines to music videos, exploring how images, language and layout can be used to shape our understanding. Students are encouraged to use these texts, as well as academic theories, to think critically and develop their own opinions on how the media represents the world we live in.
We aim to create open-minded students who take the initiative to look closely at how our society chooses to communicate with each other through the media.
The variety of topics and tasks set help our students stay engaged, with a range of abilities developed including research, problem solving and creative skills. Our students will also build debating skills through addressing contemporary issues head on in a nurturing and non-judgmental environment. A varied range of activities means that students can put their developing knowledge into practice through their own practical creative work. GCSE Media Studies enables students to critically evaluate texts and prepares them well for A-level study in any discipline
The Learning Journey
By Year 11 a student of Media Studies will have:
• demonstrated skills of enquiry, critical thinking, decision-making and analysis
• applied knowledge and understanding of a range of important media issues
• have appreciation and critical understanding of the media and their role both historically and currently in society, culture and politics
• understand and apply specialist subject-specific terminology to analyse and compare media products and the contexts in which they are produced and consumed in order to make informed arguments, reach substantiated judgements and draw conclusions about media issues
• appreciate how theoretical understanding supports practice and practice supports theoretical understanding
• developed practical skills by providing opportunities for creative media production.