Welcome to the Canon Slade Trustees Pages
The Canon Slade Trust
The Board of Trustees are part of the Canon Slade family and have the responsibility of running the affairs of the Trust which includes the land on which the school is built, the playing fields, the wood beyond the playing fields and the letting of any part of the school or land.
The Board of Trustees is made up as follows:
- The Vicar of Bolton (ex officio)
- Two representatives appointed by the Manchester Diocesan Board of Education
- One representative appointed by the University of Manchester
- Three Councillors appointed by the local Borough Council
- Eight co-opted members
- The Head and Deputy Head
There are seven Managing Trustees – the Vicar of Bolton, two representatives appointed by the Manchester Diocesan Board of Education, one representative appointed by the University of Manchester and three Councillors appointed by the local Borough Council.
The other eight Trustees (co-opted onto the Board) are appointed for their expertise in various areas of business/education. Some Trustees are also on the school’s Governing Body.
The aim and objectives of the Trust are to support the school in whatever way is appropriate.
The Trustees are responsible for the management of the various funds and investments and support the school, where appropriate, to enhance the facilities and resources available to the pupils. This is usually in those areas where Central Government or Local Authority funding is not available.
There have been a variety of projects undertaken over the last 25 years which have greatly benefitted the school as well as the local community who have access to the school for evening and weekend use of the facilities. The Trustees are grateful to the many parents – both past and present – who have supported the school by contributing to the Building Our Future Appeal.
The Trustees also contribute towards the prizes for the ex Year 13 Presentation Evening which is held in December each year when the school welcomes back those pupils who left the 6th form having taken their A level exams in July.
The Trustees are responsible to the Charity Commissioners for the investments and assets of the Trust and details may be viewed on the Charity Commission web site. A variety of projects have been undertaken by the Trustees over the years. These include the Millennium chapel, the astroturf, the refurbishment of the swimming pool, new changing rooms, fitness suite, the canopies which afford shelter to the pupils waiting to go in to lunch, equipment for the Technology Department and so on. A list of all the projects can be found on another page in the Trustees’ part of the school web site.
The Trustees are also responsible for the letting of the school facilities to outside organisations and see this as an opportunity to engage with the local community. A variety of different groups hire the facilities and apart from sports clubs there is a yoga group, a Gospel Choir, the local RSPB group, two swim schools and the Pauline Quirk Academy (drama/dance).
The Secretary to the Trust is Mr Simon Rees and all enquiries about any aspect of the work of the Trust and the Trustees as well as the hire of any of the school facilities – please contact him on (01204) 600891.
Current Trustees are as follows:
Mrs Jenny Smith (Appointed by the Manchester Diocesan Board of Education/former pupil of the school)
Vice Chairman: Mrs Gill Smallwood (Co-opted/former parent)
- Mrs Judith Berry (Co-opted/School Governor)
- Mr John Burns (Co-opted/Vice Chair of the School Governors)
- Professor Christine Dickinson (Appointed by the University of Manchester)
- Mr M Donarghy
- Mr Paul Dyson (Co-opted/former Director of the 6th form)
- Councillor C Morris
- Mr Berwyn Myers (Co-opted/School Governor)
- Ms Sarah Riches (Co-opted)
- Mr Peter Rogerson (Appointed by the Manchester Diocesan Board of Education)
- Councillor E Sherrington
- Mr N Swift
- Mr Peter Syddall (Co-opted)
- TBA (Vicar of Bolton/ex officio)
- Councillor John Walsh, OBE (Appointed by the local Borough Council)
- Mr Geoff Whalley (Co-opted)
- Mr David Burton (Head of Canon Slade School)
- Mr David Lever (Deputy Head of Canon Slade School)