The course is focussed on a deeper learning and understanding of sports participation and performance through anatomy and physiology, sports coaching, fitness testing and training, including a wide range of other sports related subjects.
This course is perfectly suited to students who are focused, organised and passionate about sport.
- Equivalent in size to three A Levels
- 13 units of which 7 are mandatory.
- 4 of the mandatory units are assessed externally.
This is the largest qualification in the suite of BTEC Nationals in Sport and Exercise Science and is equivalent in size to three A Levels. It is best suited to learners who want to progress to higher education programmes in the sport and exercise science sector.
- The body in action
- Sports injuries
- Sports nutrition
- Exercise Programming
- Practical individual and team sports
- The anatomy and physiology of sport
The course is assessed through a combination of practical, written assignments, observational and written exams.
Many students go on to study at university in subjects such as sports injuries, physiotherapy, sports studies and sports science. This course provides excellent opportunities for independent learning, organisation, meeting deadlines, researching and assignment writing to a high standard, developing skills which are very desirable when looking to study at Degree level.
The course allows students the chance to use their practical skills; Extra activities have included:
- Tour visits to sports arenas and clubs
- Outdoor pursuits activities such as canoeing and rock climbing
- A range of practical activity
- Opportunities to gain sporting qualifications, coaching awards