Featured macronutrients – protein in meat/beans
- Put meat in mixing bowl.
- Grate vegetables and add to meat.
- Add any other optional ingredients and using a fork, mix until all are thoroughly combined (homogenised).
- Flatten the mixture down and cut into 4 portions. Sprinkle greaseproof paper with flour in your box.
- Using your hands, shape each quarter into a ball, then flatten to a burger shape.
- Place in your box and place in the chiller.
- Wash and tidy up. Use disinfectant.
grill or fry on each side for about 5 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
- Grate vegetables.
- Open and drain beans.
- Ask your teacher for a food processor. Place all ingredients in the bowl. Process to make a soft mixture.
- Divide into 4 equal pieces. Shape into balls, then flatten to make burgers. Place in your box then chill.
Bring From Home
Apron, tea towel, named plastic box and a carrier bag.
Choose a minced meat eg. pork, turkey, beef or lamb (1 pack about 400g, but slightly more or slightly less is fine).
OR Vegetarian Bean Burgers
2 tins of beans eg. kidney beans, chick peas etc.
Choose any or all of the following:
1 clove of garlic – chop finely
Herbs: bunch of fresh herbs, eg. Coriander, Basil, Chives, Parsley
or 1 teaspoon dried herbs
Spices: ½ teaspoon Cumin or Paprika
For heat – 1 chilli or 1 teaspoon chilli powder or flakes
Either 1 carrot or 1 courgette
d) Salt and pepper
Green chopping board, vegetable knife, tablespoon, (tin opener and peeler if needed).