Our school has a long and distinguished history, originally founded in 1855 by the then Vicar of Bolton, Canon James Slade. Over those one and a half centuries the school has served families throughout Bolton and much farther afield in providing an outstanding education set firmly within a strong Christian ethos.
Though our school has changed much since its inception our motto “Ora et labora” (Pray and Work) is still our guiding principle. It is this commitment to work and the Christian life that ensures the success of the school and our ability to flourish in a constantly changing and challenging world. A visit to our magnificent chapel, completed in 2004, bears witness to the centrality of our Christian faith.
Every member of our community is involved in an act of Christian worship each day and everyone is expected to do their best in every aspect of their work. High standards of behaviour are demanded and mutual respect is part of our embedded culture. Our Christian values of compassion and love for one another allow each individual to grow in a safe, caring community which has high expectations for all.
There are 1700 pupils and students on roll, including some 340 in the sixth form. The school has a well-deserved reputation not only for its outstanding academic work but also for Drama, Music, Sport, (Sportsmark Award and regular success in national competitions), and many other activities. We are one of only three schools nationally to hold the distinguished Diamond Award for Cultural Diversity from the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust. The school is also a Cross of Nails Centre for Reconciliation in association with Coventry Cathedral.
The Ofsted inspection of December 2012 rated the school to be outstanding in each of the four categories judged under the Inspection Framework. The National Society Statutory Inspection of Anglican School Report was also judged to be outstanding.
Our facilities and the breadth of opportunities offered to young people are outstanding. The quality of teaching and learning, academic results, pastoral care, extra-curricular opportunities and Christian nurture at Canon Slade School stand amongst the best of the nation’s state schools. Our school is a friendly, vibrant and exciting place in which every member of our school community is recognised and valued for the individual they are, made in the image of God, and where each is given every opportunity to fulfil their potential.
My very best wishes
The Head Teacher
The Head Teacher
- The Head Teacher’s Newsletter – May 2015
- The Headteacher’s Newsletter – April 2015
- The Headteacher’s Newsletter – March 2015
- The Headteacher’s Newsletter – February 2015
- The Headteacher’s Newsletter – January 2015
- The Headteacher’s Newsletter – December 2014
- The Headteacher’s Newsletter – November 2014
- The Headteacher’s Newsletter – October 2014
- The Headteacher’s Newsletter – September 2014
Latest News Articles
- The Junior Showcase Concert 13th May 2015
- Year 7 Class 7b-En3 Poetry Anthology Podcast 13th May 2015
- Year 11 – Sixth Form Induction 2015 13th May 2015
- Year 10 Food Technology Soup Competition 13th May 2015
- Solar eclipse recorded at Canon Slade 20th March 2015 13th May 2015
Come and read more about Online Payments and find out how to connect